Tuesday, April 22, 2014

day 22: Finally will it not be enough, by Wendell Berry

This poem always makes me think of heaven. I remember walking near sunset the winter that my friend Moriah died of cancer - now over four years ago - and thinking of this poem.

"You will remember, watching the clouds, the future of love."


This book of poems (A Timbered Choir: Sabbath Poems 1979-1997) was the first book of poems I ever owned, I think - a gift for my high school graduation. It is well-loved & well-marked, and I had a terrible time picking just one thing to read. But I think that I might love this poem best.

Well. Except, maybe, for this tiny poem that is the very last page in the book:


There is a day when the road
neither comes nor goes,
and the way is not a way
but a place.


Which also, now that I think about it, makes me think of heaven.

No comments:

Post a Comment