Monday, April 21, 2014

day 21: When You Are Old, by W.B. Yeats

sooo, this didn't exactly go as planned. I meant to do 20 days in a row of poems from books I own and then jump into 10 other poems I love from random other sources. But I traveled to Harrisonburg for Easter and was a bit short on time, so I put up a pre-recorded poem on Friday, Saturday, & Sunday. It would have been perfect (if missing the commentary) if not for the fact that Soundcloud was having issues on Friday when I tried to upload my poem #20 (a Sabbath poem by Wendell Berry).

In short, my schedule that I put together for myself was supposed to be 18: Richard Siken, 19: Christian Wiman, 20: Wendell Berry. But #20 got messed up. And though I saved three of the best poems for last, those were the poems that got short-shrift on the commentary front. I'm planning on going back at some point and adding a paragraph or two to those days, so stay tuned.


"When You Are Old" is a poem I memorized last year when I took 80 Works for the second time. I love it for its structure, rhythm, and rhyme; for the beauty of its language.

"How many loved your moments of glad grace
and loved your beauty with love false or true
but one man loved the pilgrim soul in you
and loved the sorrows of your changing face..."

I feel a bit of kinship with the person being spoken to in the poem; I like to imagine that I have a pilgrim soul.



Some photos from my weekend:

















The best thing, maybe, was being in Early Church and having so many people to greet, so many people who looked happy to see me. Someone in leadership at EC said "Emily's here!" during the 'greeting-guests' time, which I wasn't expecting, but which made me so, so happy. It is good to be seen; to be wanted.


No comments:

Post a Comment