Monday, April 14, 2014

day 14: in the middle of traffic at Church and Gerrard, I notice someone, by Dionne Brand

what to say about this poem...prose poetry, hm, it's not really my thing, generally. the poem is in a block, I guess I should say, because it won't be obvious just by hearing it read aloud. it is like a paragraph, no indentations, no stanza breaks. I like how poems with short, spare lines look on the page, and the block of a prose poem can be intimidatingly dense (although you'd think the multi-page paragraphs of Infinite Jest would have cured me of that specific fear).

but anyway, I do like Dionne Brand's book Land to Light On. the whole book belongs together, like Louise Gluck's The Wild Iris, but again, I picked one that I thought would sound good on it's own.

Here is some biographical information about Brand, if you are interested.

No comments:

Post a Comment