Thursday, November 7, 2013

i need a more catchy phrase for 'petty grievances'

since graduation in April, classmates of mine have dealt with:

moving to a different continent and eating cow lung (as a vegetarian)
beginning work as a first-year teacher and having their house egged by a student
beginning work as a first-year teacher and having (high school) students who can barely read
not being able to find work
having manipulative bosses
long-distance relationships


my complaint today sounds really dumb in comparison, but here goes:

I'm kinda sad about how I can't complain about work to anyone but The Housemate. Not because I don't have great family & friends who listen to me talk about anything (even when I'm whining), but because no one will understand what I'm saying. 

Fluid dynamics is screwing up my life, you guys. AHHHH. I just about had a meltdown today at 4:00 pm when I realized the stupid suction tube on my setup was positioned wrong and was destroying my gigaohm seals. I was like, "Argh! That explains everything about this day and why nothing is working!!!" 

The Housemate happened to walk into my little closet right then and she looked at the computer screen and said, "Um, what's going on there?!" 

And I said, "I just figured out something terrible. The suction tube is sucking my cells off the pipette!"

And she said, "You didn't notice?"

On the one hand: yay, you know why I'm upset! On the other: Nope. That's why I feel dumb.


Then I realized that even if I wanted to, I couldn't call anyone and complain to them because the whole exchange would be utterly incomprehensible. 

Basically, my life is ruled by the flow of saltwater, which is surprisingly tricky to control. Between the RSC and the suction tube...woe is me. :/


On the bright side, a little retail therapy:


Buying boots felt a little like an entrance into adulthood. (Read: a paying job. Hah.)

No comments:

Post a Comment