Monday, October 19, 2009

An assignment for my faithful readers...

the day that i took those pictures i put on my blog, i posted pictures on my facebook with this discription:

"The only people for me are the mad ones, the ones who are mad to live, mad to talk, mad to be saved, desirous of everything at the same time, the ones who never yawn or say a commonplace thing, but burn, burn, burn, like fabulous yellow roman candles exploding like spiders across the stars."

i don't know where i found that quote but i love it. and so thia and i have been thinking about how we can be mad for life. here is how i was mad for life today: i skipped bio.

super irresponsible, right? i suppose anything i say in defense of this will sound like a spoiled teen justifying her way out of work. but hear me out -

instead of sitting through a class of stuff i learned in high school [i can do the Hardy-Weinburg calcs in my sleep], i took Pilgrim at Tinker Creek to the second floor of the campus center and read while i overlooked the Shenandoah valley. it was gorgeous. my soul feasted on beauty, and in Annie Dillard's words, "I am still spending the power." today was my own small search for the tree with lights in it...today was learning how to see, and in seeing, learning to love.

Read these words and speak your soul alive.
"It is still the first week in January, and I've got great plans. I've been thinking about seeing. There are lots of things to see, unwrapped gifts and free surprises. The world is fairly studded and strewn with pennies cast broadside from a generous hand. But - and this is the point - who gets excited by a mere penny? If you follow one arrow, if you crouch motionless on a bank to watch a tremulous ripple thrill on the water and are rewarded by the sight of a muskrat kit paddling from its den, will you count that sight a chip of copper only, and go on your rueful way? It is dire poverty indeed when a man is so malnourished and fatigued that he won't stoop to pick up a penny. But if you cultivate a healthy poverty and simplicity, so that finding a penny will literally make your day, then, since the world is in fact planted in pennies, you have with your poverty bought a lifetime of days. It is that simple. What you see is what you get."

So, students, here is your assignment for today: find a metaphorical penny and tell me about it. Due date Nov. 1
:) Have fun!

5 comments:

  1. Emily, I adore you. This is my favorite of all the things that you have posted, and I like it so much, in fact, that I have decided to create an account so that I can comment on the things that you write.

    I have so many pennies from this last eight weeks at school that I am RICH! A few of them in list form:
    1.A new perspective on love (thank you Wendell Berry!)
    2. A pressed maple leaf that fell out of my anatomy book during the most stressful part of lab.
    3. A visit from my sister, just when I was getting unbearably homesick.
    4. A kindred spirit for a roommate :)
    5. The quotes on the back of Joel Nofzinger's shirts (ever since you pointed them out to me, I have been reading them, and they make me smile and think)
    6. education: it showers a good handful of pennies on me every day
    7.the mad ones
    and oh so many more...
    Here's to the little joys of life, cheers!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Well, Emily, I did TELL you about some of the pennies I have found. There are far too many to tell you about. My life is FULL of blessings. Probably the brightest penny would have to be being married to your father for the past 22 years! With the added benifit of being you and Derek's mom.

    ReplyDelete
  3. ahh yes, lets see, ( Im writing this for the second time cause the computer messed it up and it dissapeared.)

    ok Let me say this straight up. Emily, you are a super penny. When you came up for the weekend and I was sick, it made my week just for you to be there, when you gave me a hold-your-breath hug, it made me smile a whole lot on the inside haha. I love you sis :]

    I love the gift of music, and the ability to make other peoples days better :] I was playing guitar with jesse today and it was really fun.

    I value choices, choices are many pennies, some brighter than others -.-

    I had another one but I seem to have forgotten it. I left the computer and when I came back, the thought left me.

    ReplyDelete
  4. My penny for you, Em!

    My entire day is made when a foster cat who has been sick decides to eat on her own for the first time in days. It's a sign that the world just got a whole lot better for one of its small members.

    Love the simple things. Thanks for the assignment!

    ReplyDelete
  5. hey i tried to post a penny a couple of days ago. but it isn't here! oh well.

    my penny was a laughing baby and how much she rocks. :) i didn't know i'd like babies so much til i had them.

    and i like you too. :)

    ReplyDelete