Thursday, March 24, 2011

luke 13:34

some of you may have heard that there was a bomb in the central bus station of jerusalem this week. (if this is news, don't panic - everyone from my group is fine). it is crazy to think of it, how people were injured in the blast and someone, at least one person, has died. 


it is strange, maybe, but I don't feel afraid. every day here I walk through the old city and rub shoulders with people from around the world - Christian pilgrims from Italy, Russia, the Ukraine, England, Spain. Local Arabs, both Christian and Muslim. Hasidic and Orthodox Jews. Every day I see these people and almost always they are polite, kind, funny, interested and interesting. in the face of THAT reality, it is difficult to even believe that there are those so full of hate they would seek to kill civilians. 


no - I do not feel afraid. and for even more than the fact that I have seen so much beautiful humanity. it is also because I have that promise that cannot be shaken; that I know I am resting in the hand of God.




I have been thinking of Luke 13:34 this week:
“Jerusalem, Jerusalem, you who kill the prophets and stone those sent to you, how often I have longed to gather your children together, as a hen gathers her chicks under her wings, and you were not willing."

I imagine Jesus looking over the city of Jerusalem 2000 years ago. Think of it; how similar it is to now. People who love and people who hate, people who are seeking truth, people who are lost, misguided, alone. I imagine Jesus looking over this city today, and I know his heart is still breaking. I know the heart of God is still longing to gather his children together.

1 comment:

  1. See the power of positive thinking within you. God bless you.

    ReplyDelete