Saturday, March 12, 2011

leaving jerusalem (for a little bit)

tonight is my last night at JUC. Nooooo!!! I love this place - I am starting to wish I had about 40 lives - there are just too many great things to do in the world. I would love to come back here and study Biblical geography for more than 2 weeks.

The campus of JUC is beautiful. The whole school is within a fence with a gate and there are flower gardens outside. The lawn has huge old trees and the stones of the pathways and buildings are the pale cream and pink
"jerusalem stone" - a really nice hard limestone.

My room has four girls in it - I have a top bunk and it reminds me of my room from EMU. The bed is pushed into a corner and right below the lip of the top of my bed is a windowsill. The walls are really thick - thick enough to sit in the window and read or journal. It is absolutely lovely.

we learned that the JUC building was important in the 1948 war ~ there is a cable running from one part of the building down Mount Zion (I forget what was on the other end). The school was apparently part of the front lines against the Jordanian army and the cable I just described was used to send messages without getting people shot. Israeli children learn the story the same way that American children learn about Paul Revere.

There is interesting history like that everywhere you turn here; you can't sneeze without stumbling upon an ancient temple or knocking into a building that played an integral part of recent history. it's crazy!

well - i'm off to turkey in the morning (5:30 a.m. to be precise) so i better sign off and get some sleep. :)

1 comment:

  1. Thank you Emily for sharing with all of us what you are experiencing, learning and seeing. It sounds like it's been an amazing time for you.
    Liz H. from WSMC

    ReplyDelete