Saturday, December 7, 2013

you couldn't pay me to do it

at 5 pm on Friday I found myself calling the pastor of my church in Harrisonburg, volunteering myself to drive a stranded member of Early Church back home from DC.

in the rain.
in the dark.
late at night.

file this one under crazy, impulsive, irrational. 



"if you're sure, that would be a blessing to me, emily," he said, the static of a bad connection hissing in my ear.

i crouched in the hallway, scribbled a phone number down on a bit of graph paper. i'm crazy. "i'm sure."



i remember my dad telling me about working for habitat for humanity, one time; how he said "there are some things you couldn't pay me to do, but i'd do them for free."



what is it that takes hold of people and shakes them into this crazy, impulsive, irrational behavior?



...file this one under love.

1 comment: