Tuesday, December 24, 2013

Christmas: loving God, loving the world, and the endgame is redemption

If there is any secret to this life I live, this is it: the sound of what cannot be seen sings within everything that can. And there is nothing more to it than that.
-Brian Andreas 
I take literally the statement in the Gospel of John that God loves the world. I believe that the world was created and approved by love, that it subsists, coheres, and endures by love, and that, insofar as it is redeemable, it can be redeemed only by love. I believe that divine love, incarnate and indwelling in the world, summons the world always toward wholeness, which ultimately is reconciliation and atonement with God.
-Wendell Berry


How strange it is to imagine that three years ago I was just about ready to step into a journey through the Middle East. That I did actually live for a month in Syria, that I walked in Bethlehem and Jerusalem.

Such heartbreak in this world. 

How grateful I am to think that God came to us as one of us. That God knows what it is like.


It is not a terrible thing to love the world, knowing that the world is always passing and irrecoverable, to be known only in loss. 
To love anything good, at any cost, is a bargain.
-Wendell Berry

No comments:

Post a Comment