Saturday, April 17, 2010

my day redeemed

today surprised me. it was nicer than i thought.

i went to the arabic dinner and it was so wonderful. we ate biryani and this super awesome salad with lemon/olive oil dressing and lettuce and cucumbers, spring onions, tomatoes, basil, mint, cilantro, and sumac. (no, not poison sumac - it is a tangy spice from syria).
while my professor made the meal, we had iraqi music playing in the background and louis taught us a turkish dance. we met his sister and just talked and hung out (in the PRESIDENT'S HOUSE). then after the meal we had iranian tea and stuffed dates that my friend tessa made.

we heard more stories from my professor's time as a translator in iraq, as well as stories about his life growing up. he sang for us, too.

it was just so wonderful. i am so so so so so excited for my cross-cultural. :)



then i came back and began a collage. this collage, unlike some of my recent creations, is hopeful. it is focused on the beauty and wonder of the world.



i am going to attatch some pictures from my beautiful, suprising, grace-filled night.









1 comment: