Saturday, December 12, 2009

To be covered in the Word


i have this list - its a list of things i can do to be mad for life. one of them is this:

you could write a bible verse on your arm everyday. be covered in the word. and let it only wash away when you shower.

i did this today. it was an interesting experiment. i've decided that being covered in the word is very comforting. you should try it.

Thia and Molly also wrote on me. Thia wrote 2nd Corinthians 4:7-12. [see below]

2nd Corinthians 4:7-12
But we have this treasure in jars of clay to show that this all-surpassing power is from God and not from us. We are hard pressed on every side, but not crushed; perplexed, but not in despair; persecuted, but not abandoned; struck down, but not destroyed. We always carry around in our body the death of Jesus, so that the life of Jesus may also be revealed in our body. For we who are alive are always being given over to death for Jesus' sake, so that his life may be revealed in our mortal body. So then, death is at work in us, but life is at work in you.



It made me think of my one Honors class; we had a guest lecturer and talked about the idea of an inner vs. an outer self. One of the most interesting things I've heard this semester came out of that class. We hate our bodies; it is easier to lie than it is to keep from blushing. Our bodies betray us. So often, we long to focus on the spiritual because the physical lets us down. Our bodies, the world, the technology...it all breaks and malfunctions and reminds us that we are vulnerable. But read the verses again: We always carry around IN OUR BODY the death of Jesus, so that the life of Jesus may also be revealed IN OUR BODY. I think I am beginning to understand that Jesus, though of course spiritual, loved the physical world. He healed through touch. He fed multitudes with real bread. The word was made flesh. I think he would enjoy walking through Park Woods when there is snow on the ground.

....

It was good and beautiful and healthy and so, so comforting to write with my hands physical words on my skin. To be able to see with my eyes the Word, running black and blue up my arm. To imagine words imprinted on my heart.

Go on, do it. Cover yourself in the Word. I dare you.

No comments:

Post a Comment