Monday, December 14, 2009

home

i had the oddest realization tonight -

going to the early church in the rain; seeing people i knew at the early church; thinking about how i saw a guy from church (and my ethics class; he's auditing it) at the Little Grill and he recognized me and waved;

reading the Bible and finding out that hey, i really like it;

decorating gingerbread houses and dominating 2nd east; losing to 2nd east; telling Lucas that he's a liar;

cleaning my room and thinking about vacuuming;

laying in wet cold grass east of Thomas plaza and watcing shooting stars; having crazy funny conversations laying in wet cold grass east of Thomas plaza;

hearing Lucas say 'good night, friends;"

thinking about going home


---it makes me wonder what home is, exactly. Meg says: my life does not have much locational permanence. is home a place? for me, the answer is yes. it is my bedroom and the fireplace and the perch above the dishwasher.

but my realization is that here - Harrisonburg, EMU, 'the Shenandoah Valley' - here is home too. i have my nest up in my bunk bed, my bookshelves, my fishbowl. my african violets and paper cranes. and secondly...home is more than a place. i have really, really good friends here. ones i'm really close to and ones i'm just beginning to know, but i'm not really exaggerating when i say that it is beginning to feel like home.

its a little weird. but it is a better weird to have many homes than to have none.

No comments:

Post a Comment