Thursday, December 24, 2009

christmas eve

it is tradition on Christmas for both sides of my family to read Luke 2, beginning with the phrase "in those days caesar augustus" and ending with the shepherds praising God. i decided when i was back at EMU to read from the beginning of Luke through the traditional Christmas story to see what I was missing. and ... i stumbled across [surprise!] Luke 1 and "Mary's Song" otherwise known as the Magnificat.

Mary's Song (Luke 1:46-55)
46And Mary said:
"My soul glorifies the Lord
47and my spirit rejoices in God my Savior,
48for he has been mindful
of the humble state of his servant.
From now on all generations will call me blessed,
49for the Mighty One has done great things for me—
holy is his name.
50His mercy extends to those who fear him,
from generation to generation.
51He has performed mighty deeds with his arm;
he has scattered those who are proud in their inmost thoughts.
52He has brought down rulers from their thrones
but has lifted up the humble.
53He has filled the hungry with good things
but has sent the rich away empty.
54He has helped his servant Israel,
remembering to be merciful
55to Abraham and his descendants forever,
even as he said to our fathers."

The more of the New Testament that I actually read [not just act as though i had read it, but really read for myself], the more I begin to believe in the idea of God's kingdom present now. A present, tangible, physical, joyful, abundant kingdom life. By this I mean - I believe that God desires justice now for the poor. I believe that kingdom living is good news for the poor; the poor in spirit, the poor in physical wealth. I believe that the Christmas story should start in Luke 1. I believe that Jesus came to reconcile man to God and that this restored relationship is more than just going to heaven when I die. It involves me fearing the name of the Lord and Him showing mercy across generations. It involves God scattering the proud and sending those who are rich away from his table. It involves this crazy sort of leveling of humanity, that those who are humble are lifted up and those who are hungry are given food - and the rulers are cast down from their thrones.

The more of the New Testament that I actually read, the more I fear the Lord. The more I fear the power of the gospel. The more I understand how Christianity can be seen as dangerous. It is ... it's a crazy powerful book that can make a girl realize she wants to be poor and weak and humble.

Wendell Berry writes, "Take all you have and be poor." I think of all the pretty words I use to describe the miracle of Christ coming down to earth; incarnation, relationship, virgin birth. This particular Christmas eve, at this moment of my life, those words are too big. This Christmas I am thinking of the birth of the Messiah in a different, smaller, simpler way. I am thinking of God taking all that He had and entering the poverty of humanity. And I am praying that somehow, despite the incredible weakness of my heart, I will be able to follow my Savior and take all I have and be poor.

1 comment: