Monday, April 4, 2011

Nazareth

it comes to this: my last week in Israel. my last week in the Middle East. My (sort of) third to last move of all my stuff.

But I am not going to think about leaving. I am living in the present, and in light of that resolution, let me tell you about Nazareth.

Basically, we are staying smack in the middle of the "Old City" part of Nazareth. The streets are incredibly narrow and winding, and so, so, SO confusing. I learned today that they were built on donkey trails...people knew donkeys would pick the easiest path up a hill, so they built their roads on donkey paths.

Lets just say that donkeys don't place much value on straight lines.

Anyway, we are staying in a guest house affiliated with the Jesus Trail, and it is wonderful. The architecture of the place is beautiful - arches, an open courtyard, tall ceilings, marble floors and heavy wood doors. We are spending the first part of the week volunteering at Nazareth Village, which is a replication of a first-century village. It is pretty awesome; as an example of the extreme awesomeness, tonight we ate a first century meal and got to bake pita bread over an open fire. Mmmmm.

The end of the week will be spent hiking the Jesus trail - 40 miles over 4 days. I am really hoping it doesn't rain (last night it absolutely POURED and one of my roommates sprang out of bed at 6 am because water was leaking all over her pillow...)

I am still so excited to be here - there is so much left to see and do. (But yes, I do miss people at home) :)

Shalom! and goodnight.

1 comment:

  1. Looking foward to seeing you soon, Emily. Stop by S.S. sometime and tell us about your adventures. Blessings to you and safe travels! ~Matt & Karen

    ReplyDelete