Tuesday, December 21, 2010

i don't know how to start.

i don't know how to start writing about what has happened in the past four months. there is so much - and it is hard to think back on what did happen and be present where i am now.

in light of that, i'm going to put off writing about past things in favor or posting thoughts crossing my mind tonight.


“I’ve got a hope that never fails me…”
That’s how the Trent Wagler EP Timbered Choir begins. I just happened to be listening to that song while I was on facebook, facing down an onslaught of “Support our Troops” badges littering my News Feed. Sometimes I feel like if more of my acquaintances knew my views on pacifism, on patriotism, on the twisted and twined-together roles of church and state, I would get into a lot more arguments.

I wonder sometimes if I am too extremist. Like - if so many people I know are putting “Support our Troops” stickers all over their cars, all over their facebooks –should I really resist on the principle that “Support” means more than a yellow sticker? Should I give up on making things too complicated? Sometimes I feel like I am trying to keep my name; that my name has power behind it, has honor, and I don't want to give it up to something I'm sure that others will misinterpret. (I wonder if a facebook "name" is worth anything). My definition of "Support" is so much more complex than a prayer for God to bless America. I want to tell people – the reason I won’t add this badge to my facebook is that I think wars hurt more than help. I know people die (our troops. "enemy" troops. civilians) and I can't see how adding a yellow badge saying I offer my support will help.

I want to say, I’ve got a hope that never fails me. It isn’t a hope in military power. It isn’t a hope in the United States government. And despite my (nearly) limitless hope in the potential for love and goodness, beauty and peace, it isn’t a hope in people (American or otherwise). As Trent Wagler goes on to sing in his song
When Its All Stripped Away:

with no status, no power, no women or men –
with it all stripped away where will you stand?
with no profit, no weapons, no money in your hands,
with it all stripped away where will you stand?

stand up
stand up in the early morning
stand up
stand up when there is no morning
stand up
stand up when the storm is rising all around

with no color, no creed, no bible to defend
with it all stripped away, where will you stand?
when this world turns violent
when there’s no side left to win
with it all stripped away where will you stand?

stand up
stand up when the wind is blowing
stand up
stand up when the tears are flowing
stand up
when justice calls and you hear the sound…

so when you’re quiet, alone
this day has met its end
when its all stripped away, where will you stand?
with it all stripped away where will you stand?




I want to stand on the Prince of Peace.
That's what I'm staking my hope on. That's what I'm giving my heart to.

So - sorry, facebook acquaintances. Until you have time in your sound-bite world to let me say all that, I can't put the yellow badge on my profile.


http://www.jesusradicals.com/advent-and-the-liturgies-of-church-and-state/

No comments:

Post a Comment