Wednesday, September 11, 2013

JoHoYo (or, Mennonites are weird)

I had been thinking about this all day, yesterday, and then I forgot to write it down.

---

A few weeks ago I ended up finding myself at the same church as my boss, a funky little Mennonite church outside DC. And I've kept going back (usually). This week he asked me if I was a church over the weekend, which I wasn't (I decided reading through Matthew in the sun in the park was the best possible use of my time, haha); and when he learned I wasn't, proceeded to tell me that the sermon had been about John Howard Yoder

"I think I'll have to go back and re-read some of those books," he said. "I read The Politics of Jesus. Good stuff."

I almost laughed. I was having flashbacks to classes at EMU, hearing classmates fondly refer to "JoHoYo." 

I really am in a subculture. Mennonites are weird. But I have to admit I'm thankful... JoHoYo did, after all, give this intern an interesting (obscure) point in common with a tenured PI. :)


EDIT// to clarify, by saying "Mennonites are weird," I mean, "isn't it strange that two Mennonites from different generations can end up working in a government funded lab and know immediately what's going on when the name John Howard Yoder comes up?"

No comments:

Post a Comment