Sunday, July 14, 2013

well, here i am...

i've arrived in bethesda, i've (basically) unpacked my stuff, i've explored a few major roads with my parents (found the target and giant before they left, yay). my dad helpfully asked siri, 'where's the nearest mennonite church?' (the answer: 7 miles away).

i'm worried about tomorrow. i don't know where, exactly, i'm going (building 35? i think?); i don't know where i'm supposed to park my car, what the security will be like, if my coworkers will like me, if i'll understand anything that i'm supposed to be doing, where i'll eat lunch, if my parotid gland will have swelled any more ...

which, newsflash, happens sometimes, to very unlucky people. i was diagnosed today with parotitis, to which i say: seriously? meaning why do terrible things always happen to me when i travel? 


but the point of this, actually, wasn't to highlight all the things i'm worried about. it was to say that my litany of 'things that may go wrong' started to remind me of that passage in matthew: ...what you will drink, or what you will wear... 


who of you by worrying can add even a single hour to your life? 

so i'm heading to sleep, now, and i'm hopeful that by this time tomorrow i'll be feeling excitement, not dread.

No comments:

Post a Comment