Sunday, February 13, 2011

bible thoughts

tonight i lead devotions for our group - it was a short affair, involving me and my friend jamila alternating reading 8 short scripture passages i chose earlier in the day. i have been thinking a lot about the idea of new life because we have visited so many ruins that are 1. beautiful, 2. ancient, and 3. dead. so today (on my last day in damascus - sad, sad thing) i sat on a bench in the area that I've termed in my head "flatbread square" due to the flatbread store on the corner. i sat there and slowly meandered through my bible, picking out verses that fit with that theme.

one that i really like is isaiah 43:18-19.

“Forget the former things;
do not dwell on the past.
See, I am doing a new thing!
Now it springs up; do you not perceive it?  
I am making a way in the wilderness
and streams in the wasteland."

i like this verse for a second reason: it reminds me to look ahead to what is coming rather than mourn what is over. there is a good chance that i will never return to damascus (although if i ever have the opportunity, believe me that i will definitely jump at it). it is really sad to think that i might never buy pomegranate juice outside the hamiddiyah souk again; that i've walked down straight street for the last time; that i will never have to sneakily avoid the scheming almond sellers or dodge a taxi in a narrow walled alley ever again. but: there are new things coming - nights spent in a beduin tent, a camel ride, walking the streets of Jerusalem, meeting a Christian family in the west bank (who i will celebrate my birthday with!).

there is a new thing coming, and it will be good - i believe that. i am on the way to perceiving it. :)



1 comment:

  1. Happy Valentines Day! I have SO enjoyed your blogs. Thank you for taking the time to write them. Sometimes I feel as if I am right there experiencing this adventure with you. Thank you also for sharing these verses in Isaiah. They spoke deeply to me today. I can't wait to hear more from you when you get back to S.S. at Willow Street.

    ReplyDelete