Monday, January 31, 2011

chocolate waffles

so my lunch today was a falafel sandwich that cost 25L and a chocolate covered chocolate waffle for 30L. Which, all told, is ... a few cents over $1. I feel sort of like I'm robbing the shop owners; of course then I go to buy stamps for some postcards and am overcharged by 70L, so I guess it all evens out in the end.


spoiler for Jess Sarriot's postcard... ;)

a bit of poetry that has been going through my head while I've been here is

We shall not cease from exploration
And the end of all our exploring
Will be to arrive where we started
And know the place for the first time.


-TS Eliot, 4 Quartets

I'm so excited by the idea of returning. Even after just 4 days gone it felt so nice to return to Damascus where things felt somewhat familiar. I think one of the most intense things about this whole trip will be returning to the US and knowing the place in a new way. Mmm.


Final message - send me emails! comment on my blog! i only have regular computer access for sure for the next two weeks, so. write to me!

1 comment:

  1. emily! it's really great to read what you write about your adventures and thoughts. it sounds like you're being challenged in amazing ways. you are in my prayers.
    love and blessings. :)

    ReplyDelete