Monday, January 25, 2010

grace gratuitous, pennies found...

this semester has been so difficult, for a lot of reasons. but this weekend i slept until 1 pm on saturday and read a book by Donald Miller and did some homework and went to the Blue Nile; i talked with friends and gave out belated Christmas gifts; i walked in the rain, i sat in Common Grounds, i watched Good Will Hunting on my computer and got teary eyed.

i met some friends of a friend tonight in Common Grounds and was introduced to a book - and i remember something about a refusal to unwrap the mysteries of life. i'm good with that. a sense of wonder is a beautiful thing.

The wonder is...that there is beauty at all, grace gratuitous, pennies found...


Grace gratuitous. I love the idea of abundance. Of extravagance, of things extraordinary. I love thinking: Earth's crammed with heaven/And every common bush afire with God. I love thinking: This, then, is the extravagant landscape of the world, given, given with pizzazz, given in good measure, pressed down, shaken together, running over. I love a life lived fully.

1 comment:

  1. "refusal to unwrap life's mysteries..." yes, I want to ask what the rest of that quote was.

    I want that book.

    We can develop your thievery? (I enjoy that word.)

    ReplyDelete